Today's Diva Words:  "If the Goddess had wanted me to work this hard, She would have given me more hands and less ass."

Gah.  So I spent yesterday in town, finalizing the stuff I need to get the house done.  I still have to buy paint for the boys' room, but that will be easy.  I'm not doing all of the walls and I have to confer with them about what they want to do.  I did get some cloud decals for them on ebay:

I returned a good bit of stuff to Walmart that I ended up not using, like a pine tree and moose wallpaper border I was going to put up in the bathroom.  I got a table for Delena's room because she wanted something to drop her things onto as soon as she got home.  It was $15 at the thrift store and is quite nice; matches her bed.  I got a printer table for me that matches my ratty computer desk and had Eric take the door off of the laundry room so I could put it right beside the desk.  I have to totally revamp my desk to get ready to hold 2 different computers.  I plan to get a toggle thingie so I only have one monitor, which will help with space.  The printer takes up a lot of room on my desk, so having it on its own table will help too.

Delena is making wonderful progress on her room.  I am so proud of her.  She's doing it in reds and blacks and it looks really elegant and teenagery. 

Founder's Day is Saturday and as soon as that is over, I should have a slow down in pace.  I'm also starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel on the house redecorating by making some different choices than I originally intended and putting in some long, hard days. 

I miss my friends online. I miss getting EOS updated regularly.  I miss chatting on AIM.  I miss me, but I will be happy when all of this is over and the house looks nice. 

I am very nervous about the time the new job will take up, but I know I can pace myself and still have time to do the things I really want to have in my life.  I just ask that my friends be patient with me while I take this bit of harvest time to get my life sorted out and in order for the rest of the year.  Eric still has a LOT of work to do and I really feel for him.  He's about halfway finished with the first shed and we are expecting rain off and on for the next few days.  I am doing my best to keep the rain away from Saturday, which would be a tragedy. 

I don't think I have ever worked this hard on so many different things in my entire life, even when I was a single mom!  Every day is a series of list after list after list of things that have to be done.

Guess I'd better get busy on today's list!

Be particular!

Today's Diva Words:  "If only work was as satisfying as chocolate..."

September 18, 2007

The bathroom is finished except for some minor detailing, all put back together and pretty.  I'm very happy with how it came out.  I also got the main part of the house in order, which helps out the "doesn't thrive in chaos" side of me.

Today, I want to get back to the kitchen and get the cupboards painted and the rest of the one wall tiled.  Before I do that, I have to go to town and get some things and return some things and such.  Sherry, I'll be around later on.

I am tired from some Nyquil I took last night to try and ward off a sick that has been threatening.  I just don't have time for it now.  Been power drinking EmergenC as well.

Oh, plus, oddly, I did get the transcription job.  I start training (in-home) on October 8th.  The pay isn't really much.  I'm starting out at 16 hours and 2000 lines a week, but that's a minimum and I can do more if I want, which I will as I get up my speed and find the rhythm of doctorspeak again.  It's been a long time.  I should get my formal, written offer in the mail by the end of the week, then I have to fill out paperwork, return it and they will set up my new computer and such in time for the training.  The training only pays $10 an hour, which is about what I'll be making at 7 cents a line when I first start. 

Weird, huh?

Today's Diva Words:  "No!"

September 17, 2007

 I am taking the day off from remodeling and having a "vacation" by just doing regular housework for a change.  The chaos around me is driving me nuts.  Because I'm doing some work in the kitchen, lots of work in the bathroom (we have 1 that is for family use) and some work in the family room, it feels as though my entire house is in disarray.  Today, I am going to finish my steak and bagel sandwich while reading the "Go Fug Yourself" Emmy red carpet mentions, then I am going to take myself to bed, watch "Rescue Me" on my DVR and then take a nap.  When I wake up in a bit, I will reassemble my bathroom, put my curtains back up, clean my house and feel a whole lot better.

I had that phone interview for the transcriptionist job at 6:30 and at 6:25, I remember that it said in the instructions to turn off my privacy manager. Eeep!  I didn't have a clue how to do that and it turns out, you have to call a number and remember some password you came up with years ago to do it.  After several frantic tries, I managed to get it done at 6:29 by my clock.  The interviewer called around 20 seconds later.  The interview was projected to last around 20 minutes, but ended up taking about 35.  I didn't honestly feel as though it was going well because of my 13 year lapse in employment, among other things.  I couldn't remember anything about my productivity, in terms of how many lines a day we had to produce.  It was a long time ago and info I never expected to ever need again, so it's gone.  Also, I felt like an idiot when she asked me how much money I wanted to make doing this.  I literally blinked a bunch.  I had no idea, so I just told her that prior to applying, I had not researched the market and honestly had no idea what the going rate would be.  That's likely about the worst thing you can say to a prospective employer, but it was all I had at the moment.  Now I know the average is about 8-9 cents per line.  When I quit doing transcription in 1994, it was 6 cents per line, so that's about right, I guess.   So since 65 characters equals a line,  I would have made around $2 for what I've typed here so far this morning.

Anyway, we made it through the interview and she said that her notes would be reviewed and someone would let me know in an email whether or not I was progressing on to the next stage, which is to fill out an actual application for employment.  She said it would take up to a week for that to happen, but I actually got an email inviting me to fill out the application for employment to be eligible to receive an offer from the company.  It doesn't mean I'm hired.  It just means that they want to submit my name and package for consideration.  It was funny to fill out the application because, of course, they ask "How many employers have you had in the past ten years?"  Fat zero.  I did put down 1 and listed myself as self-employed as a web designer/journalist since 1998, which is when I started working for Soap Opera Central (if I remember correctly, it was a long time ago).   That's pretty much the problem.  I think of life changes in terms of other things going on at the time (I know I started working at Edwards the year after Delena was born, etc), but I've never been particularly good at keeping notes and dating everything, so my figures might be off.  Anyway, I thought that being self-employed looked better than being unemployed.  So the application is sent and the situation is out of my hands. 

It's weird to honestly not care one way or another whether I get this job.  The good points and bad points are so equally balanced that I don't have an opinion.  This is purely, 100% a "where ever I am led" situation.  Every other time I have applied for a job in my whole life, I have been nearly frantic to get it, so this is different.  Eric and I will get by OK if I don't get the job and I will continue to have time to devote to site work, home renovation and pursuing my own selfish needs and wants.  If I do get the job, I will have my own money for the first time in our marriage, which I will use to supplement the household budget so that I don't have to worry about the payday to payday thing or have a financial crisis if Eric has a lag between extra jobs.  It also takes that age-long issue of stay-at-home-moms not having a value in this world off the table.  I will be employed and that changes the dynamic between me and Eric in a way we have never experienced.  It also makes me feel more secure should something ever happen to him or to us.  Although I love lolling around being a lady of leisure, it's scary for someone else to hold nearly 100% of your financial security.  It's also a pretty antsy balance of power thing.  Good stuff; bad stuff, so I just leave it in the hands of the Goddess and trust that where ever I am led will be the best place.  I have gone through every motion put before me.  I could have said no at any time just as the process could have broken down at any time on their end as well.  It's still moving along, so I have to figure it's here for a reason.  The opportunity was presented to me so oddly and indirectly that I had to take notice of it.  Life rewards action, so I acted.  Now...we wait and see.

But now, we read Fug and take a nap.

Back to remodeling tomorrow!

Be particular,

Today's Diva Words:  "I childproofed my house, but they still keep getting in."

September 16, 2007

Agh.  Yesterday and today, I have been working on the bathroom.  I pulled off the wallpaper, sanded (I heart my sander) the walls to get the wallpaper off that didn't come off, spackled, masked and painted.  I feel like I am absolutely steeped in paint.  The last little bit just went on about a half hour ago and now I just have to wait for it to dry so I can jam the stuff back on the walls again.  I have trim and an over-the-toilet cabinet and towel bars and all kinds of crap strewn over the bathroom and the hallway.  I can't get my fingers through my hair and I don't have to look in the mirror to know THAT's a bad sign. 

I painted it a light, sage green, like the one in this photo:

...except as I painted my bathroom that lovely sage color, I noticed the light was getting dimmer and dimmer.  There's no window (regrettably) in the bathroom, so it wasn't the sun going down, although the sun was going down.  It was the bathroom going from white to green.  Pfft... I'll just put in lightbulbs with a stronger wattage.  Problem solved.  I left the small bit of wall over the shower tiles white, as well as the ceiling.  I'll throw up some vertical molding to ease the visual transition.  I have a nice, deep wallpaper border to put along one part, mooses and pine trees, and some grizzly bear sticker mural things to go up as well to give it a little character.  The house was built before drywall existed, so the walls are in pretty crappy shape, which is what made me decide to paint more than just the pitched ceiling, which was the original plan:

Pedestal sink is in place and looks fine, except that a valve now leaks, so we had to call out a plumber.  Eric's really good with such things and when he's stuck on what to do, it's time to call in the professionals. 

I put up a bit more vinyl tile behind the stovetop and the backsplash of the sink.  Took down all of the curtains for a good wash and iron.  I finally found the bamboo blinds I wanted at K-mart.  They only had one before and had three time time, so I was in business.  Got a ton of low wicker baskets for $3.97 each at Walmart to use for a number of things (photos coming).  Mostly for the piles of shoes that seem to accumulate throughout the house and one at the landing of the stairs for the things the kids need to take up to their room. 

Delena has been hard at work on her room.  We found curtains and a rug that she likes.  The rug was a $20 Walmart rug, but she was happy with it.  I am thinking of keeping the dresser she has to save money for now, but maybe finding some stickers or something to dress it up a bit.  She has been packing and organizing and cleaning for 2 days now in there.

This week, I need to shampoo the carpet on the stairs, in our room and in the boys' room.  I have to clean out one of the sheds (ugh), paint the fireplace, strip off the wallpaper in the kitchen and paint it the same green as the bathroom, get the bathroom put back together again when it finally dries (tougher with no window), get through a phone interview (tomorrow) with the medical transcription place, get the kitchen cupboards painted inside and out, paint the front door, paint the shelves and trim in the family room, iron and re-hang the curtains throughout the house and do about a ton of things to get ready for Founder's Day on Saturday.

It makes me tired just to think about it!  Eric has steaks on the grill and I am about to go put together the rest of the meal, then work on ironing those curtains.  He got the walls done on the new storage shed today and the floor done a couple of days ago.  He's moving along quite nicely.  I wish I could say the end was in sight, but I'm looking at a tough month!  It's good exercise and there's a lot of thinking time while you're painting, I can tell you that.

I *think* I have made my last purchase for the things I need to finish the house other than the paint for Delena's room and the boys' room, which shouldn't run very much.  It's only about $13 a gallon at Walmart.  It looks like I'll come in at just under $1000 for redoing the whole inside of the house, making every single room look completely different.  I started out ready to spend $5000 on the kitchen alone (which would have been beautiful), then dropped to $2500 when our budget changed.  Budget changed again and it became "Don't spend any more than you have to do and get the most bang you can for your buck," so that's where I'm at right now. 

Eric is off work Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday to help out and do his exterior renovation.  Next weekend is completely shot with Founder's Day on Saturday and the circus on Sunday.  We use every spare minute on Monday and Friday to get things done as well.  I sure hope it's worth it when we're finished!

After the physical work is done comes the mental mess of getting the appraisal, finding a good loan and signing a million papers.  Then we rest.  I want alll of that done by October 31st.

Be particular,


Graphics by Cathie Designs